If you are one of those people who have been contemplating about how to lose weight, there is no need to panic. It is understandable to feel overwhelmed about where to begin because, more often than not, we have heard how hard it is to commit to one weight loss program. All you need is a simple, fool-proof plan that doesn't leave you feeling exhausted before you've even began.
Forget about all the weight loss gimmicks you've heard in the past. As cliche as it may sound, a healthy weight loss program consists of a well-balanced diet and a regular exercise program. The more pressing question to ask is how to begin. Here we have laid out simple steps you can follow in order to kick start your way towards healthy weight loss and healthy living. At the end of the day, it's all about taking that first step; and the rest should follow. Any small step you begin today will later spiral into a few more changes. Before you know it, you'll be on your way to becoming a healthier, leaner version of yourself.
1. Eat more vegetables and fruits. No need to over complicate. Just go to the nearest supermarket or organic store in your place and buy fruits and vegetables. Incorporate them in all your meals. You can steam and pair them with a simple fish recipe. Have veggies as your side dish or, better yet, eat a green salad before each meal. The key thing to remember is to incorporate vegetables more and more each day. As for fruits, start with your favorite and then you can venture into something more out of the box. Make fruits your dessert after meals instead of the usual sugary alternatives. You can also snack on fruits or veggies at any time of the day. The weight loss philosophy is simply cutting down high-calorie foods in your diet and replacing them with foods rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. There's no better way to get all these but from eating fruits and vegetables each and everyday.
2. Drink lots of water everyday. Most of us forget how important it is to continuously hydrate our body all through out the day. By drinking lots of water, say 8 glasses each day, you immediately detoxify your system. Your digestive and excretory system will be running smoothly. Instead of drinking soda, coffee, or instant juice drinks, why not drink just water. If you're the type who forgets to drink enough water a day, try keeping a bottle in your desk, bedside table, car, or any place in your home or office where you usually spend your time. Nothing is more refreshing than a cold glass of water to fully quench your thirst. Make this a habit.
3. Walk as an exercise. This is perhaps the simplest way to get active. Start waking up an hour earlier than usual and walk around your neighborhood. No expensive gears are required to do this. All you need are comfortable clothes and shoes, and you can start anytime, anywhere. You can invite a friend or your significant other to walk with you. You can do it alone with your iPod and simply enjoy nature. Walking is not only a good exercise, it's also a great way to clear your mind. Start with just a few minutes of walking and gradually increase the duration and intensity. Walk with pleasure for a few minutes and alternate it with brisk walking.
4. Throw away all the junk food in your pantry. Yes, this may sound a bit outrageous at first. However, let's face it, the more you see junk food in your house the more likely it is that you consume them. Start today. Clean your pantry or fridge by tossing all chips, canned goods, instant noodles, cookies etc into the trash. Now stock your kitchen with fruits and vegetables. The next time you feel hungry, you can now start training yourself to eat fruits and veggies.
5. Read about health and fitness. This may sound ridiculous at first, but as you read more about healthy living, you get more inspired and motivated each day to continue making healthy choices and sticking to them. The next time you stop by a bookstore, find a book about healthy weight loss, healthy living, or healthy eating. Read them everyday to remind you of your long-term goals.
This is the start. Rinse and repeat. These five simple steps are a great way to start living healthily. At the end of the day, a weight loss plan still follows the same healthy principle: diet, exercise, and water. The most important thing is that you start now. Rest assured these five simple steps will definitely usher you to the right direction. However, it is still best to seek professional help such as the advice of a nutritionist or a health fitness coach to fully guide you towards a healthy weight loss plan.